Dragaera

Michael Whelan (was: Re: Lord of Castle Black is up at Amazon)

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Thu May 15 18:49:51 PDT 2003

Sander <dragaera at juima.org> writes:

> Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
>> It varies a lot.  In some cases (like with Robert Jordan),
>> the publisher needs the completed cover art *months*
>> before the manuscript is turned in.  On the other hand,
>> I've heard that the artist Robert Whelan requires the
>> finished manuscript a year before the deadline for the
>> artwork.
>
> Michael Whelan - http://www.michaelwhelan.com - and (all

I thought something didn't look right, and I even double
checked the spelling: W H E L A N.  Oh well, I think I'll
claim that I was intentionally invoking Furr's Law.

> he's one of those fantasy artists producing covers almost
> everyone seems to like.

Somehow I was never particularly impressed by his work.  Its
good, but nothing to get enthusiastic about.  I do really like Stephen Hickman (several of the Vlad books) and Sam
Rakeland (the Khaavren books) and also Phil Foglio's covers
for the Starblaze editions of Asprin's Myth books.

--KG