Dragaera

Elric (was Lord of Castle Black is up at Amazon)

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon May 26 11:26:49 PDT 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Mark A Mandel wrote:

>On Sun, 25 May 2003, Steven Brust wrote:
>
>#
>#Okay, I thought it was kind of obvious.  Just in case it isn't: yes,
>#Moorcock's Elric books are huge influence.
>#
>#Hmmm.
>#
>#You can think of the Vlad books this way:
>#A world created in honor of Fritz Leiber
>#Fantasy tropes created in honor of Michael Moorcock
>#A narrative style in honor of Dashiel Hammet
>#A general aesthetic in honor of Roger Zelazny
>
>Steve, unless you object this is going to get a section all its own
>at the top of my "Jokes and Allusions" page.

Don't forget that "Hammett" has two "t"s.

Am I correct in assuming that the only thing that differs between the
Vlad books and the Paarfi books is that the narrative style is in
honor of Alexandre Dumas?

Which in turn makes me wonder if the narrative styles of other books
are in honor of anyone or anything.   For example, might "Brokedown
Palace" be in a narrative style in honor of Hungarian folktales?