Dragaera

Loraan, Orlaan, Rolaan...

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Wed May 28 08:36:45 PDT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Philip Hart wrote:

#Mark, I'm reading a book by Steven Pinker called _Words and Rules_ which
#leads me to suspect there may be deep brain structures at work here - I
#suggest you expand your useful table.  I note that "l" and "r" are both
#classsed as semi-vowels (liquids, in fact) - you might allow substitution
#of the other s-vs, /w/ and /y/ (wind, yuck).  And the vowels of interest
#here are both back-of-the-tongue - you might add /u/  or /e/.  I think by
#doing so you can create enough character names for SKZB to populate the
#rest of his Vlad and Paarfi novels, many may they be.

Well...

(1) I'm a linguist by avocation, education, and profession. That's a
language scientist here, not a polyglot or a translator. So I know what
you're talking about, without the explanations.

(2) My intention was JUST to provide the anagrams of "Loraan", with some
classification.

(3) Are you crazy? Or just trying to drive me crazy?

	("Easy, boss!"
	 "As if I had the time..."
	 "So why ain'tcha workin' now? You *are* at your office."
	 "Shut up, Loiosh.")

-- Mark A. Mandel
   http://world.std.com/~mam/Cracks-and-Shards/
   a Steven Brust Dragaera fan website