Dragaera

series advice, was RE: Wear Brust on your Chest

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Mon Jun 2 18:12:01 PDT 2003

Chris Turkel wrote:
> On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 08:33 PM, Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
> > 5) Author keeps writing the same book over and over (Xanth,
> > Valdemar).
> Black Company, Shannara

While I'll give you Sha-na-na, I don't think the Black Company books quite
qualify.  The characters came and went and even the viewpoint changed.  I
actually had a bit of a hard time when Croaker was no longer the viewpoint
character, sinced I enjoyed the first trilogy so much.  I found the whole
series very enjoyable and the ending was, to me at least, moving.  This
is actually a bit of a coincidence, since while I'm without a job I'm
rereading the series.  I finished _The Silver Spike_ (number four) today
and will start on _Shadow Games_ shortly.

One author who _did_ write the same book over and over (and over and over
and over ...) was Jack Chalker.  I stopped reading him in the mid-80's when
I could no longer ignore the fact that every book was the same, down to the
characters and details of the plot.  The man seemed to have a thing for male-
female transformations, too.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/