Dragaera

Book of Athyra

Tue Jun 3 16:50:41 PDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Chris Turkel wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 11:54 AM, Casey Rousseau wrote:
>
> > Iain E. Davis wrote:

>> 'Course, I've always liked _Yendi_, especially the openning monologue,
>> so straight-ahead narrative can work, and even for Steve, but yes, more
>> complex presentations can offer many more opportunities for avoiding
>> old-hatness.

> Steve likes to bash Yendi but I enjoyed it. Its one of those sit back
> and enjoy books, with little brainpower required (like a good
> Horseclans book).

Fwiw, I thought that _Yendi_ didn't need any bells and whistles - it can
apparently be read mindlessly, but if one tries to make sense of the plot
as one goes along one gets more mental stimulation than following the plot
of _Taltos_ or _Dragon_.  In fact, imho the multi-linear style of _T_ and
_D_ adds little.  After a few chapters of _D_ I began to get annoyed that
Vlad was going to the trouble of giving us tiny chunks of the late-battle
story for no obvious reason.  I did like the interludes about the future
events related to the story.  But the seventeen "Ok, that's almost a
page of the conclusion, how are we getting back to the main plot now?"
just got on my nerves.  One of the things I read SKZB for is his ability
to pull you along (I think this is what Zelazny meant with "He moves
fast") - one of Dumas's virtues - and the multiple threads got in the way
for me - more author-imposed than plot-inspired.