Dragaera

Half-breed citizenship

Tue Jul 1 09:06:41 PDT 2003

Kenneth Gorelick wrote:
> The Dragon-Jhereg half-breed is atypical since there is no genetic
> "Jhereg". A Jhereg can be a genetic Dragon--how would a Dragon
> geneticist figure that out?

I know that Jhereg isn't considered exactly canon, being the first book
in a series that wasn't expected to be a series, but in it, Aliera says
that the mish-mash of genes in House Jhereg has over time congealed into
a valid genetic marker; this allows her to properly identify someone's
lineage as genetic Jhereg. As for a Dragon geneticist figuring out that
a genetic Dragon is in fact a Jhereg, well, it should be fairly easy if
they're trying to actually figure that out. It wouldn't involve
genetics, but rather checking the Dragon repository of information (or
wherever their records are kept). For example, Kragar is genetic Dragon,
but is a Jhereg. I think that if a Dragon geneticist was trying to
determine Kragar's house and determined that he is a pure Dragon, he'd
also look at expulsion records and realize he's really a Jhereg.
Note that Kragar has put on his Dragon outfit and impersonated a Dragon
several times to get information for Vlad. I have a feeling that the
setting that he's operating in when trying to obtain said information
would preclude a genetic or any other "official" test of House.

Jose
--
Jose Marquez
jhereg69 at earthlink.net