Dragaera

We need an RPG

Tue Jul 1 11:56:03 PDT 2003

From: "dar"

> I agree, Rolemaster would probably work best. a new spell list might be
> required but I don't think that I'd bother personally. I'd be more tempted
> to run Sorcery as Essence magic, Witchcraft as Mentalism, and Elder
Sorcery
> as the old Archmagic rules. Channeling? Perhaps as a different form of
> 'Sorcery' (ala Hybrid users)
>
> David

For pen and paper I'd suggest the Champions system by ICE.  It used to be
Fantasy Hero, Champions (superheroes) and a few other genres, but since the
system is truly generic, they combined them all into one system - Champions.

What makes this system powerful is its simplicity (a minimum of tables) and
its flexibility.  I've created many worlds with it - everything from fantasy
to 20s gangsters to cartoons to sci-fi and weird combinations.  For
example - an energy blast is generic - but you can give it the special
effect fire, add the advantage area effect, the limit of once a day and even
base it on a focus (like a wand or ring or sentient sword) and voila it's a
fireball.

I love this system because if you have a strong world/character concept in
mind, you can create it exactly.  Perfect for the Taltos world with its
varied magics and weird weapons and races.

Sean