Dragaera

started rereading _TPotD_

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 17:11:50 PDT 2003

"Steve Hubbell" <usagigoya at hotmail.com> writes:

> Philip Hart - Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:18:22 -0700 (PDT)  said:
>
>> Miska names Morrolan in the language of the Silatan - who
>> are they to Morrolan?  And why does Morrolan not stick
>> with a name in a language he speaks - maybe Paarfi
>> simplifying?  Note that later (pg 82) Teldra calls them
>> the Silites.

I'm guessing that Silites speak Silatan.  Do any of the
resisdent linguists want to comment on proper noun endings?

What bugs me is how Teldra [p. 76] knew his name was Morrolan
in the first place.  Miska addresses him as "Dark Star" and
the topic of languages doesn't come up until later.

> Ok, my question is, in Taltos when Aliera first meets
> Morrolan, she recognizes the name as being related to
> Morrolan's fathers name... How does she do this if his name
> is taken from a foreign language?

Probably because his father's name was Rollondar.  Even *I*
can tell they're similar without knowing a single other word
of that language.

> (btw, whatever happened to the honorable profession of
> proof-reader?  obviously, Tor no longer seems to use them,
> even the mmpb version of Dragon is full of typos...)

TPotD and _Issola_ seemed fairly well proofread (not perfect,
but still pretty good for a first edition).  True, _Dragon_
had some amusing typos (mainly capitalisation errors) that
made it to paperback (my favorite was Vlad's reference to the
"Jhereg" on his shoulder).

--KG