Dragaera

Overcast

Wed Jul 16 23:21:42 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 19:31, Philip Hart wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, David Silberstein wrote:
>
> > I thought this was amusing:
> >
> >    There's a trick I like to pull on my friends. Standing in a large
> >    city on an overcast night, I'll ask them to look down at the
> >    sidewalk and tell me what color the sky is.  They invariably will
> >    say black or, sometimes, dark blue.  Look up, I'll say.  And to
> >    their astonishment the sky is neither black nor blue, but a dull,
> >    smoky red - reflecting the orange glow of all those sodium and
> >    mercury vapor streetlights.
> >
> > Cut from an essay about SF & the future by Michael Swanwick:
> >
> >    http://www.michaelswanwick.com/nonfic/future.html
>

> Swanwick should do this in Chicago - the sky can be pinkish-orange...
> Anyway, this doesn't work in SF for some reason.

In Sunnyvale, I can *read* by the skyglow on a cloudy night.  And
that was the phenomenon that sprang to mind the first time I read
of the overcast over the Dragaeran Empire...
--
%% Max Rible                     http://www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
%% "The duty of the patriot is to protect his country from its       %%