Dragaera

Phoenix (was Re: Mario the Mystery)

Wed Aug 6 02:18:05 PDT 2003

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:31:02 +0000, you wrote:
>As to their house enemies, I don't see the Phoenix having enemies except by
>circumstance.  Think of the magical creatures here, and realize what that
>means for the house.  What in mythology kills a Phoenix?  A Chimaera?  A
>Basilisk?  A Griffin, Harpy, Cockatrice or Giant?  Or perhaps a Dragon...No
>it doesn't seem to me that phoenix (phoenices?) have natural enemies, perse,
>but are the victims of conflicting interests, as in FHYA.
>
>I find it odd that House Phoenix, to put a little bit of a Herbertian
>phrasing to the nomenclature, has not been the target of more political
>intrigues that bring the house to near extinction.  Political creatures have
>no natural allies--everyone else is a natural enemy, and the only way to
>survive is to make alliances of convenience which may at some point or
>another become INconvenient.  So with all the intriguing going on, it's a
>wonder there's a House Phoenix at all.

Actually, it's not a wonder at all.  The Cycle (as opposed to the
cycle) protects the house, just as It protects all the Houses at
various times.  They're all needed for the Empire to exist.

--

lazarus

"Folly it may seem," said Haldir. "Indeed, in nothing is the power
of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that
divides all those who still oppose him." -- J.R.R. Tolkien