Dragaera

Spoilers?

Wed Aug 6 11:24:29 PDT 2003

>In my experience, that teenager will not sign up for the list until he has
>read at least a goodly portion of the series.  He has no incentive to do
>otherwise.

Orca is book seven of the series, though. I could easily see someone
devouring Book of Jhereg and doing the "Must have more!" thing, buying the
next two trades and whatever else they can find and signing up for the
mailing list immediately.

Having said that... putting spoiler protection on everything would get
ridiculous real fast. For most things, mentioning the book early on is
probably good.

The two cases where I imagine it would really seriously affect the reader
are the end of _Orca_ and the Big Secret of _Agyar_. The "ohmigod" moments
in those books (one of which comes at the end, the other whenever the
reader figures it out for hirself) are just so much /fun/, I wouldn't want
to accidentally take them away from anyone. (Oh, and maybe the identity of
Devera's father.)

But then, I know people that still hate Charles Schulz because there were
so many Citizen Kane spoilers in _Peanuts_.

----
"I can't think of much worse than spending a lifetime doing something that
isn't what you want to do."
--Neil Gaiman, 2003-05-18