Dragaera

Dumas

Rachel L. Ruhlen melalvai at kemenel.org
Wed Aug 13 07:05:30 PDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: emily frawley [mailto:simbelmyne at softhome.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 7:38 AM
To: Rachel L. Ruhlen
Subject: Re: Lord of Castle Black

>>As I recall, _Viscomte de
>>Bragelonne_ had some tragic events, including the death of d'Artagnon's
son.
>>I'm really worried about Piro.
>
>I think that you are thinking of _Man in the Iron Mask_, in which a man and
>an iron mask appear for all of about three chapters and it seems like
>everyone except Aramis dies (Porthos gets the best death scene of them
>all).  Athos was the one who produced Raoul de Bragelonne.  As far as I
>know, none of the others had children.

>Not to be pendantic, but I just finished reading all of these about a week
>ago, so its all fresh in my head.

I'm glad you've read them recently. It was so hard to find them at all, and
figure out where each volume fit (the last book is split up different ways
depending on publisher), and half of them were through interlibrary loan,
that after reading them years ago I never made a second attempt. Right,
Athos was the only one with a child. I'm remembering now everyone dying off.
I speculate now, that everyone will die except Khaavren (who is obviously
alive in Vlad's time). I guess it won't be so bad if they all get good death
scenes. And surely they'll be reincarnated.

What edition/translation/etc do you recommend? Especially among those that
are in print?

Rachel