Dragaera

[SPOILERS] Dumas parallels and a wild theory

Tue Aug 19 14:27:07 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 01:42  PM, Matthew Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:54:13PM -0400, Alexx S Kay
> <alexx at theworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Warning: There Be Spoilers Ahead
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>> [snip]
>>
>>> The divergence from Dumas that shocked me was Pel putting friendship
>>> above
>>> ambition and switching sides to fight for Zerika.  As a Dumas fan,
>>> this
>>> totally blindsided me.  OTOH, the gods make a comment at the end
>>> that do
>>> leave Pel's true motives a bit up in the air.
>> Blindsided me, too.  I think one of the primary differences between
>> Brust
>> and Dumas is that Brust is less of a bastard :-)  He is reluctant to
>> put
>> his characters though as much emotional conflict as Dumas was.  And
>> note
>> that Brust was unable (or perhaps merely unwilling) to come up with
>> any
>> antagonist characters remotely as compelling as Milady and Mordaunt.
>> Greycat and Grita stand in a loosely-parallel position, but neither of
>> them has (IMNSHO) the palpable sense of power and evil that graced
>> Dumas' villains.
> I think this is a fair criticism.

Maybe, but it's actually something I rather like about the books. Truly
menacing,
powerful, evil figures are pretty thin on the ground around Earth, and
I'm guessing
the population of Earth far exceeds the population of Dragaera. So I'd
imagine
they'd pop up even less often there.

Instead, we see a lot of people who aren't truly evil screwing up.
Adron could
easily be cast as a power-hungry, evil bastard, but instead we find
someone
who thought they were doing the right thing in general, had a bad
reaction to
circumstance and screwed up big. The Jenoine could be cast as truly evil
bastards, but quite frankly, they seem to show up as basically
scientists with
pretty questionable ethics trying to get their experiment back under
control.
Or at least figure out what went wrong. I mean, if I was running an
experiment
on the behavior of parakeets in a hot, urban classroom, and then one of
my
lab techs suddenly caused the classroom, the university, the city and
the suburbs
surrounding to explode into a roiling sea of chaos, I'd sure as hell
want to know
what happened. Probably wouldn't care too much about what I did to the
remaining parakeets in the process, either.

Basically, Dragaera seems to be populated with a bunch of normal (albeit
maybe a little more touchy on average) people with big toys. Take
Morrolon.
Touchy guy, yes, but I'm guessing if you gave your standard, struggling
grad
student (or even, perhaps, writer) witchcraft, sorcery (post- and
pre-empire), a
floating castle and "an infantry battalion disguised as a sword," you'd
see
something pretty similar. I mean, which is going to be more effective:
politely
asking the power company to please not lose electricity while you're
working
on your Very Important Paper, or furiously marching into the board room
with a
soul-eating sword and suggesting that next time, you're not going to be
able to
contain yourself? While the latter is much more menacing and evil, it
would be
a hard temptation to avoid. Trust me on that one. I suspect SKZB and
PDDB
(do all the Scribblies have four initials, and/or is this merely
coincidence?) would
probably feel similarly if they were in the middle of a writer's hot
streak and
a power outage took out a few hours work on their latest manuscript.

Anyways. Making up truly evil, menacing Bad Guys for the Good Guys to go
gleefully (or irritatingly self-sacrificingly) Over The River and
Through The
Woods to kill in a climactic final battle of Light Versus Dark gets
really damn
tedious after you read it a few times. At least it did for me. So it's
nice to not see
this happen so often, and in those cases where it's getting that way,
it's nice to
see the hero of the book (in the case of the Vladiad) complaining about
it with
me.

Well, if you consider Vlad the hero of the Vladiad. I get the feeling
sometimes
that Loiosh is really the hero.

-Adam