Dragaera

[SPOILERS] Dumas parallels and a wild theory

Tue Aug 19 17:02:17 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:13:44PM -0500, pddb at demesne.com wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 02:49:35PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> > Matthew Hunter <matthew at infodancer.org> writes:
> > > I think this is a fair criticism.  We haven't really had any
> > > truly menacing characters in Dragaera.  Personally, I would like
> > > some, though it might substantially change the tone of the
> > > series.  Maybe Vlad needs a recurring antagonist?  The Jenoine
> > > might be slated to fill this role, but I don't think they would
> > > do it necessarily well.
> > I dunno.  I think Sethra, and Aliera, and Morollan, and Vlad are
> > *really* menacing character.  *I* sure wouldn't want to argue with
> > them about anything too important.
> Yeah, that was my reaction too.
> I wonder if this is really a question of tone.  If you just listed
> the various characteristics and actions of those people and other
> characters in a straightforward fashion, they'd seem pretty menacing,
> but Vlad doesn't like to seem impressed and Paarfi, well, let us say
> perhaps that Vlad is given to understatement and Paarfi to overstatement,
> which may cast an unmenacing light on these people.

Don't get me wrong, I find Morrolan, Aliera, Sethra, and Vlad all
fairly menacing as characters.  They just don't get *menaced*
much, and between Vlad and Paarfi, the tone of the books is
much less menacing than the characters perhaps warrant.  This
can be a good thing, in that it is unexpected and fresh to
have to be menaced between the lines, but there is such a thing
as too much of a good thing. ;)

light against dark get boring: sure.  But I'm not asking for
that.

I'm just sort of hankering to see Vlad, Morrolan, Sethra, and
Aliera in full menace-mood from some terrified Teckla's
perspective.  Sort of like, what do you do when you meet Sethra
in a dark alley and she says she wants to share a drink with
you... and doesn't drink wine?

The "Tecklavision" in Athyra worked really well for this.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt