Dragaera

Reading FHYA (some possible spoilers)

Fri Aug 29 13:49:45 PDT 2003

SPOI

LERS

PACE

So, there I was, reading FHYA, when I come across two interesting comments,
and both on the same page!  First was the comment that Kathana
e'Marish'chala wedded a Dragonlord of the e'Lanya line sometime between TPG
and FHYA.  Of course bells went off in my head--could this e'Lanya possibly
be father to a certain Dragonlord-turned-Dragon Heir in the Vladiad?  Steve
seems to really like loose ends to be tied up, something I mildly disagree
with, because it seems inconsistent with the many and varied people who live
in the Empire. But then, there are only so many nobles, and it is the nobles
that all the books are concerned with, so maybe the coincidences aren't so
unlikely and convenient as they seem.

Second of all, it is mentioned (all this in Khaavren's letter to Aerich, I
think) that Tazendra was involved in an explosion at her mansion.  She got
out unscathed, but it creates a precedent which may have had a more
pronounced effect after the orb returns from the Paths, to such end that a
certain Teckla named Paresh might find an abandoned, burnt-out manor house
in the Duchy of Arylle...

Thirdly, I have a suspicion about Mario. I'm still reading (to refresh my
memory) FHYA again, so I can't say for certain what behaviour I will see
regarding this subject, but I was interested to recall Aliera's behaviour
towards Mario.  Was she warm, or was she in debt, or what?  why did she act
so nicely towards him, a Jhereg Assassin?  It would hardly be honourable to
develop a relationship with a JHEREG ASSASSIN!  But then, we know that
Dragonlords can find it within acceptable limits to lower themselves to
becoming assassins--going back to that e'Lanya dragonlord mentioned above.
We also know, from the same example, that dragonlords make extremely
competent assassins, to boot.  So is it possible that Mario is a Dragonlord
in a situation like Norathar's?  Unjustly expelled from the house, and
forced to survive as an assassin?  He certainly can be said to possess
greater abilities and resources than your standard Jhereg
assassin--something an accomplished dragonlord wizard might have to hand...

We also know that naming conventions among dragonlords (ahem, Rollondar,
Morrolan) aren't quite so strict as other houses may have, so is an
Easterner name for a powerful Dragonlord all that absurd?  I have *very*
strong doubts that he would be so careless as to be called by his real
name--especially if he *is* a dragonlord.

But I have not yet re-read the descriptions of him in FHYA, so perhaps this
third speculation is based on whimsy :P

Jon