Dragaera

Auden, Fenton re "gya", and a _TLoCB_ spoiler

Sat Aug 30 04:51:35 PDT 2003

Philip Hart wrote:

> Still on the same hand, I think it's about time for a little more info
> about homosexuality in the Dragaeran universe to come out - as far as
> I recall, it's just Kiera being weirded out (to her surprise I think)
> about Vlad's suggestion that Savn is his catamite.

And (if I remember correctly because I don't have the book to hand) it
is not entirely clear what it is about that idea that causes the
reaction. It might not be to do with their respective genders but
another factor.
For example: that it is Vlad (who to the best of her knowledge is still
in love with Cawti); that the relationship would be human/non-human one
(which we have seen is the cause of some surprise and snickering about
the Empress and which Vlad has likened to beastiality); Savn's age and
mental state; the type of relationship which is implied by the use of
the term catamite rather that any other word that could be used to
indicate a physical relationship was involved or even that Vlad has
shown no previous inclination in that direction.
I think any of the above would produce a certain boggle-factor even if
homosexuality was common and a non-issue.

It is clear that it is known about otherwise the concept wouldn't exist.
I can't remember Vlad ever mentioning whether he was boss of 'gentlemen
of negotiable affection' as well as ladies of the same. It seems
unlikely that the Jhereg wouldn't be an equal oppotunity employer in
that respect unless there just wasn't a market (unlikely if
homosexuality existed at all) or that were some things even they
wouldn't stoop to (and you can bet they would hostiliy take over with
any competitors) which would answer the question of attitude.

And once we get past that there is always the question of whether if it
existed it would resemble the modern understanding of the word or any of
the other constructions of same-sex relationships that have existed
throughtout history or something totally different again.

A few thoughts.

;-)

Fides