Dragaera

Auden, Fenton re "gya", and a _TLoCB_ spoiler

Sat Aug 30 15:43:40 PDT 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 jetdragon at comcast.net wrote:

> J A 'Dusty' Sayers wrote:
> >> I would expect to get more women visiting brothels in Dragaera
> >> because
> >> they don't seem to have the same repressive/guilt based religious
> >> historical background that you get in RL (and accidental pregnancy
> >> doesn't seem to be a problem).

It seems to me there may simply be biological aspects to women's sexuality
- say slower arousal or less automatic sexual respose - that might lead to
fewer female customers in brothels despite complete social equality
between men and women.  And note that there is still some residual
chivalry apparent in the Paarfiad - e.g., women can chastise servants.

> > That was actually sort of my guess as well--there's certainly a
> > different attitude towards sex roles and sexual relations in Dragaera
> > than there is in, say, East Tennessee.
>
> Hey. *I* live in East Tennessee and have a very liberal attitude,
> thankyouverymuch. As a generalization, though, you are probably correct
> (I don't actually know since I've only been here two weeks). Actually
> relating to the Dragaeran attitude, I seem to recall in _Teckla_ Vlad
> said that Dragaerans don't consider prostitution to be a bad thing, or
> something similar.

I grew up in Knoxville, which is in East Tennessee but considerably more
liberal than the surrounding areas.  It occurs to me a bit late that
Adrilankha is likely the Empire's equivalent of NYC, and maybe Vlad worked
in the equivalent of pre-Giuliani Times Square.  Plus possibly there were
serious social retrenchments after the loosened morals of the interregnum.
So it is dangerous to generalize too much from what Vlad thinks
Dragaerans think or thought.  (David says to himself, Well, duh!)