Dragaera

Concerning the Great Sea of Chaos

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Sep 2 23:15:17 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Alexx S Kay wrote:

>[Discussion of the Great Sea possibly being the cause of the Maelstrom
>snipped.  For the record, I've long thought that it was.]
>
>> Well, the Lesser Sea *doesn't* just sit there.  It flows and ebbs and
>> glows different colors in different places, and occasionally lashes
>> out.  Apparantly it refrains from solving because the gods damn well
>> keep it from doing so, using the Orb.
>
>Why "using the Orb"?  They held in the Greater Sea somehow, and had no
>Orb to work with.  (Well, I suppose they *might* have done, what with
>living in non-linear time and all, but it strikes me as inelegant.)

When I wrote that, I had just re-read the bits in /Issola/ that talked
about the Greater Sea and the Lesser Sea, and the Orb - an artifact of
trellanstone - being used to control amorphia.

Perhaps the gods used the trellanstone that would eventually become
the Orb to control the amorphia of the Greater Sea before it *was* an
Orb (and still do so even after it has been fashioned into an Orb,
and therefore necessarily use it to control the Lesser Sea).

Or so I understood Sethra's comments.