Dragaera

Concerning the Great Sea of Chaos

Mon Sep 8 15:04:35 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 08:22:59PM +0000, Jon Carey wrote:

> >As I understand it, what the e'Kieron line can do is actually create
> >amorphia, and turn that into stones which can then be used to perform
> >certain types of Elder Sorcery.  But creating a stone from already
> >existing amorphia may be possible for non-e'Kierons.
>
> The E'Kieron line can *create* raw chaos.  Everyone else has to draw it
> through the orb, unless they are in relatively close proximity to either

I don't think Imperial sorcerers are working with draw chaos -- that's
dangerous stuff.  Pre-Imperial sorcery is the manipulation of raw chaos (or
one step removed, was it?)  E'Kieron's can make and manipulate the stuff,
elder sorcerers either get the stuff from stones and manipulate it, or are
manipulating iliaster (the one step removed) emitted from the stone, Imperials
are either drawing iliaster from the Orb without messing with any chaos or are
programming the Orb to have certain effects on reality, without manipulating
iliaster themselves.  Though the view of sorcery in _Brokedown Palace_ seemed
to argue against something that abstract.  (Ironically, the Fenarian novel may
have given us our best info.)

Of course, a different elder approach might be... instead of getting iliaster
>from the chaos and using it, you use the chaos to weaken the resistance of
reality and use your own native iliaster ("witchraft") to reach in and twist
and change things.

-xx- Damien X-)