Dragaera

Opinion vs. Criticism ( was: RE: book by its )

yaga at berkano.pair.com yaga at berkano.pair.com
Thu Oct 9 10:26:51 PDT 2003

Criticism is not a binary circumstance.  While there is certainly constructive criticism and derisive criticism, so to
is there merely being critical of something with no intent either to aid or hamper whatever efforts are being spoken of:

Constructive : "X sucks because you used too much Y"
Derisive : "X sucks because you're stupid"
Neither : "X sucks."

While the third example is largely opinion, so too is all form of criticism no more or less than one's expressed
opinion.  Not that any such opinion is _right_ merely because it is expressed, but neither is it wrong for the same
reason.

Being critical of something is the perogative of anyone and everyone; one does not need the "right" to be critical
bequeathed upon them by some third party.  Such severity of limitation on one's ability to exercise their thoughts and
opinions is nigh upon tyranny, insomuch as it is the arbitrary restriction of what would then become the privelidge of
the few. While "tyranny" may be a strong word, it is correct in at least the classic sense; "I have sworn...eternal
hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" -- Thomas Jefferson.

Ultimately, people at Tor who make it their business to get people to buy books (and hopefully read them) have their
own opinions about how this should best be gone about.  Our criticisms of their practices and choices vary from one end
of the spectrum to the other no doubt, but I believe we should all keep in mind that we are, in the end, dealing with
people in Marketing and Business Development.  Having been in that field, I feel I can safely say that the only form of
criticism that is at all heeded is market share and return-on-investment.  As such, the only way you and I can truely
affect their choices in the future is to not buy what we don't like, and buy more of what we do.

Hopefully my comments here have been constructive; if not, I apologize, because that was my hope.

Sincerely,
Peter / Yaga