Dragaera

Matrix Revolutions

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Sat Nov 8 18:13:34 PST 2003

I find myself wondering if perhaps the Wachowski Brothers (or perhaps
the Brothers Wachowski) were in any way influenced by Steve Brust's
writings.  For example, there is, in the Matrix-future, a thick,
permanent Enclouding that blocks sunlight from reaching the surface of
the Earth.

More to the point, though [minor spoilers for Matrix Revolutions]:

At one point, Neo wakes up in a certain place, and finds a
young girl, of perhaps 7 or 8 years with brown hair and
brown eyes [1], standing over him.  He is in a place that
he finds he cannot leave without the permission of the local
"god".

The girl's name, as it turns out, is "Sati", but I noticed
when they rolled the credits that the actress' name is
"Tanveer Atwal".  "Tanveer" sounds a little like "Devera".

A coincidence, perhaps, and a minor homage rather than any huge
similarity.  But I thought I would point it out.

[1] OK, and also brown skin, which I am not sure Devera has.
Nevertheless.