Dragaera

Kragar (was: A thought concerning Skinter's future...)

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Sun Nov 9 22:59:35 PST 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Philip Hart wrote:

>I don't see "sometime in the last 250 years" as any sort of evidence
>for the Skinter (what's below hypothesis?)

Suggestion?
Notion?
Idea?
Pulled-from-out-of-arse wild speculation?

> Finally note that K has plenty of dealings with Dragons in the
>Vladiad, and there's a significant lack of him getting hacked to
>death on sight.

But why would anyone hack him to death?  Whatever he did may have been
contemptible, and un-Dragon-like, but that doesn't mean that it would
be worth killing him for...

(Tangent:  I was pondering some possible un-Dragon-like things that
Kragar might have done, and one of them was that he might have done
what Vlad ended up doing - he might have gone to the Empire &
embarrassed some high-level Dragon for something that makes the whole
House look bad in the Empire's eyes.  Dragons wouldn't kill him if he
was in fact in the *right*, but they wouldn't want him in the House.)

>In fact, I'd have to say that when Vlad meet K he's rather a nobody,
>despite his extraordinary abilities - K seems rather more a recent
>Jhereg than a 250-year veteran.

That's a good point.  He might have been just sulking and slacking for
the past couple hundred years or so, but that doesn't seem very
likely.

I just re-read in LoCB (chap. 53, pg 237) where Aerich is explaining
means & ends, and states that what Skinter is doing - attacking the
Empire - is the most terrible moral crime there is, which supports
whoever suggested that upthread.  Which strongly implies that Skinter
will be executed when this is all over.

However, I note while reading it that the phrase "grave moral crime"
could just as easily apply to Adron e'Kieron's hissy-cow.  And again,
this is a /Lyorn's/ POV; if Dragons cared about moral justification,
well, they would fight a great deal less, I nearly think.