Dragaera

Thoughts about Piro and Krytaan....

Tue Nov 18 17:10:53 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, David Silberstein wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Philip Hart wrote:
>
> >Ok, thanks.  I'm going to suppose that Dimma needed something to call
> >her and just made that up - or rather that the title is just
> >conventional and used for this particular purpose only (Sethra can't
> >enter unless announced, no one without a title can be announced,
> >so...)
> >

> Err, why do have this wish for Sethra to be a commoner?  Not that
> there's anything wrong with being a commoner, but Sethra is, after
> all, rather uncommon.

Yeah, that's my point, she's sui generis, outside the system, ...
No noble title makes sense.  Nobility derives from the emperor
(or the empire, I guess Aerich would say).  What could the emperor
give Sethra?  (Well, she has a link to the Orb and is hence a citizen
so maybe I'm just being ornery).

> I am not sure what the distinction might be between having a noble
> title, and being considered a noble, and actually being a noble.

Yo, Aerich, field this one, would you?

> Besides, as mentioned, she is known to have served as Warlord.  Do you
> really think that someone who was not a noble would be given this
> position of high responsibility, and *not* also be made (at least an
> honorary) noble?

Sure, if someone's Sethra.

Plus, that was when they thought she was alive, right?

I'm thinking Sethra doesn't consider herself as a noble (or maybe even as
noble.)  Maybe Paarfi thinks it's in his best interest to assign her a
title, but it doesn't fit my sense of reality.