Dragaera

OSC on the virtues of writer's block

Thu Dec 4 22:16:38 PST 2003

Comments interspersed below:

>From: Talpianna at aol.com
>To: gomi at speakeasy.net, dragaera at dragaera.info
>Subject: Re: OSC on the virtues of writer's block
>Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 00:36:54 EST
>
>Political systems are based on underlying belief systems, consciously or
>not.
>  Communism insisted that government actions, and education or
>re-education,
>could change basic human nature (a sort of para-Lysenkoism); they thereby
>justified horrific treatment of individuals in the present in the name of
>the
>future and the common good.  And of course it didn't work.
>
>A lot of Western political theory is consciously or unconsciously based on
>Christianity--usually the worst parts of it.  For example, the opposition
>abortion is almost entirely based on theological statements about the
>nature and
>origin of human life; and

Err, I must beg to differ about the following point. Sex is not sinful,
merely powerful and therefore to be respected. (1st commandment was to be
fruitful and multiply- ergo lots of sex [and pregnancies]) It was set within
limits for the protection of the parties involved.

*the idea that sex is somehow naturally sinful, and*
Much of that viewpoint came from "st. Augustine" of the Roman church,
indulging in mysogyny after "conversion". He was WRONG! (P.S. The original
sin was disobedience.)

>that "fallen women" should suffer social sanctions, underlies opposition to
>contraception and blanket vilification of mothers on welfare.
to which I say: "let no one cast the first stone". . . "give to widows and
orphans. . ." etc." Humans are meant to practise mercy and direct charity to
those in need. One of the great failing of Western Civ. (Judaism,
Christianity, Islam) (Of course, who else has tried? India?)

>And of course Christianity has been used to bolster such respected
>traditions
>as slavery, the notion that the upper classes were inherently superior to
>the
>lower classes and deserved to rule them, and laws that valued the property
>of
>the rich over the lives of the poor--meaning a man who poached a rabbit on
>the Squire's land could be transported to Botany Bay for 20 years.

It was the christian William Wilburforce in England and others in America
who preached abolition of slavery and other reforms. If anything,
Christianity teaches to people beware the wealthy and powerful. See
Chesterton's Orthodoxy for a better explanation.

>You are no doubt familiar with Finagle's Law: Under carefully controlled
>laboratory conditions, people will do what they damn well please.
>
>I have created Braude's Corollary:  And they will claim to be doing the
>will
>of God when they do it.

   "Thou Shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain!" So let God
defend himself, (and He will,) being certainly capable of it.

>I'm not commenting specifically on Card because I haven't read any of his
>stuff, but I have a similar problem with the later Heinlein.
>
>                                 tal

Likewise, I do not intend to treat any here present with disrespect, and
proffer my apologies if offense is taken.

James Griffin, Still Another Vlad faN

Don’t worry if your Inbox will max out while you are enjoying the holidays.
Get MSN Extra Storage!  http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es