Dragaera

tukko

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Sun Dec 7 15:43:00 PST 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, bonham15 wrote:

[ Dri'Chazik a Tukknaro Dzur ]

>someone calling sethra 'young one'....

Well, I think it is obvious that someone who is nearly as old as
Sethra, and *looks* older (wrinkled skin, stooped posture, somewhat
palsied, perhaps), might well think, when he's feeling in a snippy
mood, that he has a right to call someone who is older, but *looks*
less than 200 ("You don't look old enough to remember the
Interregnum"), "young one".

If you want more wild speculation, perhaps it's because *he* is the
reason she looks younger - that is, it is from his blood that she
feeds when she is being a vampire.  So he's reminding her of the debt
she owes him.

Given how taciturn he is around Vlad, I find myself wondering how
Paarfi's portrayal of a rather garrulous individual accords with that.
Perhaps Tukko is so offended or upset by the presence of an Easterner
- or of a Jhereg - that he is clamming up specifically because of
Vlad.  Or perhaps Paarfi figured out that Tukko was more important
than he seemed, and decided to interview him, first getting him drunk,
and, well, perhaps being drunk makes him talkative.

On a completely unrelated note, I noticed that the novel that Robert
Sloane was working on is titled "Chazho", and I wondered if perhaps
"Chazho" has some relation to "Chazhik".  But that is merely an idle
notion.