Dragaera

Fwd: re Tiassa

Talpianna at aol.com Talpianna at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 09:34:45 PST 2003

http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/000932.html

I was finally able to get this link to open.  I'm very interested in the book
because I'm interested in oracles.  Ever read Dorothy L. Sayers's essay on
"Cheating the Oracle"?  She theorizes about what might have happened if the
people involved had not cheated but accepted their fate and made the best of
it--how the oracle might have been fulfilled in a harmless manner.  For example,
Laius might have lived to a ripe old age and died of excitement over seeing his
son or grandson win an Olympic event; and Oedipus might have been such a good
ruler that he would have been said to be 'wed to his mother city.'  The only
concrete example of this happening that she found was an old Scandinavian tale,
though.

This is of particular interest to me as I have an essay in the works proving
that the prophecy inscribed on the Ring in LORD OF THE RINGS is in fact
fulfilled in a benign way--for example, the quest "binds them" in unity to destroy
the Ring, rather than as its slaves.
'
Has anyone read THE INDIVIDUATED HOBBIT, a Jungian interpretation of Tolkien,
by Timothy R. O'Neill?

               tal