Dragaera

Humans and the Cycle

Wed Jan 14 12:16:09 PST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, David Silberstein wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Noam Izenberg wrote:
>

> >One could argue that another human was at least partially
> >responsible for the Disaster, and thus the destruction, or at
> >least disruption, of the Cycle.
> >
> >- Unless Mario is not human (Don't we only have Vlad's assertions
> >as evidence that he is?).
>
> Er.  Human in which sense?  You perceive, it is confusing to use that
> particular term, since both Dragaerans and Easterners call themselves
> "human".
>
> We have Paarfi of Roundwood's history, which firmly describes Mario as
> being a Jhereg, which is to say, a Dragaeran Jhereg.  We know that
> Mario is defintely a Dragaeran, because he is little more than 100
> years old (FHYA, chapter 19) and is still considered very young.

I've long thought that the important bits of _FHYA_ were ghost written
(vampire written?) by Sethra, who is notably Eastern-tolerant.  Even in
_TPG_ Paarfi paints very sympathetic pictures of the two main Eastern
characters.  And everyone will have noted the strong (no, obsessional)
pro-hybrid theme of the Piroiad.  It just occurred to me that Sethra, who
habitually falls into old modes of speech, is the original mixed breed...