Dragaera

Kelly's Movement

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon Jan 19 14:39:22 PST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Jeffrey Kiok wrote:

>On Jan 19, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Philip Hart wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, David Silberstein wrote:
>>
>>> In a similarly non-confrontational vein, a possibility that I've
>>> thought of is that Kelly's group moves out of Adrilanka.  I've read a
>>> few things about communes created in the United States that were out
>>> in the hinterlands, that did OK for a while.  Most eventually
>>> disappeared.  But some may still exist.
>>>

>I don't think Kelly ever said that he wished to abolish private
>property and create communes.  Someone, please correct me if I'm
>wrong.

Well, he didn't.  This was just a notion, assuming things in
Adrilankha got to the point where leaving was easier than staying.

Also, communes need not abolish private property.

The point is that by living communally, even especially seperate from
the Empire, he can demonstrate that his social principles are sound.

>However, I should note that although it's fine to mention the communes
>you mention above, there have been wildly successful communes lasting
>centuries with hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of people.
>These communes, are namely, the Native American societies of North
>America, particularly the ones in existence on what is now the east
>coast of the United States.

True, but they tended to come into conflict with each other.  And they
had some very real problems when they came into conflict with a
society with higher technology (and with more diseases).