Dragaera

Kelly's Movement

Mon Jan 19 14:48:24 PST 2004

> True, but they tended to come into conflict with each other.  And they
> had some very real problems when they came into conflict with a
> society with higher technology (and with more diseases).

I'd be careful there.  Yes, they came into conflict with each other.
It was not their socio-economic structure that destroyed the Native
Americans when they came into conflict with the Europeans, it was the
fact that they didn't have immunity to the diseases the Europeans
brought with them.  In fact, one should note that in Colonial times,
men like William Bradford attributed the colonies success not to guns,
warfare, or a superior society, but rather to the fact that great
diseases wiped out the Native Americans, literally leaving cleared land
perfect for crops (which the Native Americans had been farming) for the
colonists.  Also, it should noted that in Massachusetts, it actually
became illegal to leave the town, because so many colonists fled the
towns and went to live in these Native Americans communes, never to
return.  There are numerous accounts where after colonists recaptured
former colonists now living with the Native Americans, that the former
colonists did not want to return.

But I suppose this is a bit of a tangent.