Dragaera

Mailing List Etiquette

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Wed Feb 11 08:26:13 PST 2004

David Maxwell writes:
>The third reason is that there is no standard way for users to
>express their preference.

Actually, technically, there is -- the list software could ignore
subscribers specified in the header as recipients if they had so
requested.  Or users can set reply-to to the list, of course.

>it best to settle on a single universal practice. Deleting the
>occassional duplicate mail isn't tough - reading every list message
>to see if someone asked you a question, is.

I generally prefer to get private CCs myself.

>(One suggested, but not widely implemented way to express your
>preference is the Mail-Followup-To: header.
>http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html )

Hadn't realized that was a DJB, but did know about it (and, in fact,
the custom extensions on my mailer do implement something resembling
this).  An alternative is the Mailing-List: stuff.

--
     Joshua Kronengold (mneme at io.com) "I've been teaching |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'