Dragaera

Question for THE Steven

Steve Simmons scs at di.org
Sun Feb 15 08:23:51 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:28:23AM -0600, Matthew Klahn wrote:

> Actually the thought of Savn "kicking butt" makes me sad. Savn was
> always a character that I thought deserved a happier time than he ended
> up with, and to have him have to be violent again would be tragic, IMO.

Agreed.  Savn has the potential to be the 'everyman' character, the
guy who wants a home, a wife, children, and will be both complete and
content once he has them.  Unfortunately the Dragearan lifespan means
that Savn will still be an adolescent long after Vlad's in his grave;
it would have been interesting to see the adult homebody Savn as the
object of Vlads envy.

It occurs to me that the Vlad stories lack any such character.  Children
and marriages are *very* few and far between.  The closest we come is
Khaavrens family.  Of course, there are other issues that make Khaavrens
life a less than a happy one.  Hmm... given Dragaeran lifespan, it would
not be unreasonable for Khaavren to have more children.  Vlad and Khaaven
have the potential for mutual respect; he could yet fill such a role in
Vlads era.

Steve
--
   "I try not to sound old and cynical, but it's hard to do that when
you're old and cynical."