Dragaera

Mac & "PC" Zealots

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sun Feb 15 13:35:53 PST 2004

Gaertk at aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 2/14/2004 5:18:47 PM Eastern Standard
> Time, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> writes:
>
>> Paul Echeverri <gomi at pollywog.com> writes:
>>
>>> For some reason, preserving the 'functionality' of
>>> reply-to:all, so that one gets duplicates of all messages
>>> (since reply-to:all sends to both the list and the
>>> individual), is considered the Correct Way. It's
>>> really best not to worry about it, grit your teeth, and
>>> hand-write the headers every single freaking time you
>>> reply, so as to make it behave properly.
>>
>> Or use a mail program that supports the RFC 2369 header
>> fields for mailing list commands, or one that supports
>> "reply to recipient", or one which can be configured
>> per-list for what reply defaults to locally (so at least
>> you only have to do it once).  With this many alternatives
>> already available, it seems excessive to throw away the
>> ability to reply to the sender (which is what putting in a
>> reply-to to the list does for most programs).
>
> Some of us poor souls are Not Allowed to use third-party
> mail readers.  And it almost sounds as if you're saying
> everyone has to use a fully standards compliant reader for
> the sake of people who aren't using one.

More the reverse -- I'm not interested in hacking things to support a
non-standard workaround for the few people who don't have access to
mail user agents that support the several standard solutions to the
problem.

> I've been on this list since nearly the beginning, and only
> twice have I ever wanted to send a private response to a list
> post.  The first was explicitly requested, and the second was
> a query whether the post sent to me was intentionally private
> or not (it wasn't).

I find myself having to do annoying hackery to send email to posters
in munged lists nearly every day, myself.  Luckily proper
configuration in gnus warns it to ignore all reply-to headers in a
list, greatly simplifying the problem.  (Only found that fairly
recently, so I'm still admiring it.)

> David, could you please take a look at www.gmane.org?  I
> honestly think enabling that for this list would make
> everyone happy.  Heck, I suspect I could enable it myself
> and no one else would even notice.

At a quick glance, I don't see a particular problem.  I didn't find
any statements about their position on intellectual property, though,
I'd need to look at that more closely.

If we do set up there, we'll be a non-public list, so you won't be
able to post from there.

Anybody else, and especially those of you actually in charge of
dragaera.info, have any thoughts on this?  In private email if
appropriate.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>