Dragaera

Seen the other night....

Thu Feb 19 12:59:57 PST 2004

Quoting dragaera-digest-help at dragaera.info (dragaera-digest-help at dragaera.info):

> From: Joshua Kronengold <mneme at io.com>
> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:46:37 -0600
> To: dragaera at dragaera.info
> Subject: Re: Seen the other night....
>
> Matthew Hunter writes:
> >On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 04:42:21PM -0600, Bradford Holden <holden at oddjob.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> >> I saw a sign that said, "If you like Robert Joran, you might also like
> >> Steven Brust."
> >And you take issue with this assertion why, exactly?
>
> My question as well.  Now, the other way, I don't see, but that's not
> what was suggested.

I am puzzled as to what Jordan and Brust have in common.  One writes long
complicated epics about good versus evil.  The other writes books with
sardonic protagonists undergoing journeys of self-discovery.  At least
that is how I see it.

If you like Robert Jordan you might like:
George R. R. Martin
Terry Goodkind (caveat emptor)
Terry Brooks
J. R. R. Tolkien (Cart...horse...)

and maybe some equivalent epic space opera

David Brin
E. E. "Doc" Smith

but Steven Brust?  I guess they both (sometimes) write books about
guys with long pointy metal things.  I hate to think what would happen
if the Jordan fan picked up the recently reissued "Cowboy Feng's Space
Bar and Grille" expecting complicated epic fantasy.

They seem really different to me.  Hence the clean up in the SF and Fantasy
aisle.

--
Bradford Holden
"And goalies can only play net wearing an apron and holding a live