Dragaera

Geography: I have a map up on my website

Mon Mar 8 16:23:04 PST 2004

> I'd suggest that use of color was a good way to make it more readable
> without making it larger.  JPEG is very good at handling colors -- and
> in fact handles B&W as a color image.

I tried using about 52 jpeg compression (beyond that, the smaller text
labels become unreadable) in full color, and it clocked in at 900K (I'm
using Paint Shop Pro 8).

I reduced it to grayscale, same compression, it dropped to 200K.

The grayscale map is not what I intended, and clearly it is causing some
problems.  I think I will try making a dedicated grayscale map, with clear
differentiation between the various terrains.

I was also debating doing a "hand drawn" look a la the famous map of Middle
Earth.

Bryan