Dragaera

Geography: Kanefthali Mountains

Tue Mar 9 20:32:46 PST 2004

Just noticed a passage that I missed:

The Paths of the Dead, page 25 - a place that is very nearly at the western
edge [of the Empire] ... to the far northwestern region of the continent, on
a peak called Kana, in the Kanefthali Mountains. In the earliest days of the
Empire, when the seventeen tribes ... began moving east, among the first
discoveries was [the Kanefthali Mountains]

So, Kieron and Zerika unite the tribes, and start marching EAST, and stumble
across the Kanefthali Mountains...

This means there is almost certainly some land to the west of the Kanefthali
Mountains.

I'm working on version .2 of the map, and already the Empire is looking much
wider.  I think that the the coastline curves WEST of Northport, based on
the above passage, not EAST as I drew it on version .1.

Does this sound reasonable?  Or am I perhaps giving a bit too much weight to
that passage?

BTW, if anyone wondered, I connected the Kanefthali Mountains to the Ash
Mountains because there are no references to anyone going north of
Deathgate.

Now, perhaps there is steppe/tundra/etc up there, but the map from Brokedown
Palace shows the "Great Plains" to the east at that same latitude, so ... my
thought was, something is keeping them from going north, and a mountain
range seemed to do the trick nicely.

I am having my doubts now.  Rereading all the passages about the Kanefthali
Mountains, the only indication of what direction they run is north-south
(Kana is south of three other peaks that belong to the Empire, and then
there are at least 2 peaks that the Serioli have even further north).

Bryan Newell (http://bryann.net)
My home was emptier after she left than it was before she arrived.