Dragaera

Off topic question for Dr Whom--Horace, Odes, I.22.

Sun Mar 14 09:39:06 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 03:07:46AM -0500, Talpianna at aol.com wrote:

> Synopsis (by C.H. Moore): "The upright man is safe, no matter where
> he roams. I know that this is true, friend Fuscus, for once in Sabine
> wood as I sang of Lalage, a monster wolf fled from me, though I was
> unarmed. Put me in chill northern gloom or beneath the torrid sun,
> still will I ever sing of my Lalage."

    . . .
    We all left home for Lalages sake
    By the legions road to Rimini
    She swore her heart was ours to take
    With our selves and our shields to Rimini
    Til the eagles flew from Rimini
    And we tramped Britain and we've tramped Gaul
    And the Pontic shore where the snowflakes fall
       As white as the neck of Lalage
       As cold as the heart of Lalage
    And we've lost Britain and we've lost Gaul
    And we've lost Rome, and worst of all
    We've lost Lalage.

Marching song of the Roman Legions (last chorus only) according to
Rudyard Kipling.