Dragaera

Regarding Certain Ahistorical Aspects of _Jhereg_ and _Yendi_

Sun Mar 14 23:10:23 PST 2004

I recently argued that Vlad has been relating his adventures since before
the events of _Taltos_.  I believe only a young naive Vlad who has no
contact with the councils of the powerful would agree to talk about his
life.  Later on he might come to wonder whether this is wise.

The events of _Y_ and _J_ are highly sensitive from a political
perspective.  During the time in question, 242-243 PI (see Alexx's
Timeline) Vlad meets and marries Cawti and becomes rich.  I assume that
Vlad relates these events not long after - certainly before _Teckla_.
Thus at the time of his greatest interest in not treading on the cloaks of
the powerful.  Following the events of _Phoenix_, he's not very concerned
with offending anyone.  Hence one might understand certain apparent
inconsistencies in _Y_ and _J_ as deliberate obfuscations or purposefully
clumsy history, while the other Texts of the Vladiad are more likely to be
accurate accounts.