Dragaera

Cycle Progression

Wed Mar 17 00:45:23 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Sean Whalen wrote:

>    I definitely believe that there can be multiple Emperors during a
> reign.  The orb doesn't prevent all forms of death (the Emperor can die
> of old age, magical trickery, or for all we know choking on his dinner).
> If an Emperor died before 189 years had passed we'd definitely need
> another, and even if more time had passed there's no necessary change
> that's ever been indicated.

Good point.  To the left, Vlad might be making up the 189 year limit.
To the right, I'd be willing to accept an exception to the one bite rule
at 189 years.  To the up, the cycle may just arrange things so that the
emperor doesn't kick until 189 years.  To the down, that's not long to a
Dragaeran, and the emperor can only die a natural death.  Plus the Orb
may have something to say about his longevity.  Plus the House Apparent
may be careful to choose an heir who's not too decrepit.  Perhaps the 189
year limit is an estimate based on a sample of short-reigned emperors.

>    Remember near the end of _The Phoenix Guards_ when Paarfi describes
> the White Goblets plot?  Tortaalik's sister plotted to kill Tortaalik by
> poison in pre-Empire Sorcery magical goblets.  When he died, she would
> take the throne.  It may have even happened less than 189 years into his
> reign (I don't have the book with me).  Anyway, some magical attack
> could kill him at any time if it was good enough to get around the orb,
> so there's a necessity for multiple Emperors during one reign.

Tortaalik is in the 532nd year of his reign at the time of _FHYA_, and the
affair occurred some 400 years previously.  Whether his sister (who I've
been expecting to show up for the longest time) thought she would become
empress (perhaps anticipating an exception as the reborn Phoenix), or
whether she had cut a deal with Baritt for a leading role in the new
administration, or whether she hoped to render T ill or perhaps comatose
(with the idea of becoming Regent), or whether she was just irrational,
or whether the dates got messed up on their way to us, I don't know.
Anyway, another excellent point.

I don't recall any reference to p-E sorcery concerning the goblets in
question - I imagine that they were made of Phoenix stone.