Dragaera

"The Enchantress of Dzur Mountain" at Wikipedia

Thu Mar 18 14:46:13 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, David Goldfarb wrote:

> From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
> >On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Mark A Mandel wrote:
> >
> >> 	"Wiki wiki" means "fast" in the Hawaiian language
> >> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiWiki
> >
> >And reduplication can indicate "fast" in human, right?  I swear there's a
> >French word "vitvit".
>
> The French word for "quickly" is "vite".  It's often reduplicated
> in conversation -- "Vite!  Vite!" -- but it's not considered one word.

Yes, yes, I know, that's just the only even vague example I could come up
with to lamely back my assertion.  I think there's some Auden or Yeats
poem that says, "quick, quick, to the music" but I can't pin it down.
There's an expression something like "Le francais n'est pas beau,
c'est vite", isn't there?  I'm afraid.  I'm afraid, Dave.  Dave, my mind
is going.  I can feel it.  I can feel it.