Dragaera

Issola, Dragon, J Whedon, and Chandler's The Long Goodbye

Fri Mar 19 12:27:36 PST 2004

Spoilers for _Dragon_...

...is this considered necessary, by the way?...

...wasn't sure, but thought I'd best preserve space...

...that should do it.

> I enjoy _Dragon_ a lot, partly for the reasons you describe.
> I also like the sabotage, the battles (though why aren't
> there more bows?) and the dreamwalk and the scene with the
> Necromancer.  I didn't enjoy the postlude with StY, though.
> I guess Aliera's a Dragon, so it makes some kind of sense
> that she fights to bring about the exact bargain that she had
> just refused.  But you have two people fighting with swords,
> and StY's will turn into a Great Weapon when confronted with
> a Great Weapon, which Vlad recently took great care to avoid.
>  Then he summons somebody specifically with a Great Weapon.
> Then somehow StY ends up unconscious, but apparently not
> bleeding heavily or suffering from a collapsed lung or
> anything--how did Aliera and Morrolan do that with swords?
> And StY's sword does turn into Pathfinder--why doesn't it do
> her any good?

I always got the impression in this section that either Aliera or
Morrolan would be a match for StY in a one-on-one fight, as Vlad
mentions at various times that they are both extremely good swordsmen,
and StY has been known to overestimate her own abilities from time to
time.  So I assumed the scenario would go as follows:

Aliera and StY commence duelling.  Vlad contacts Morrolan, asks him to
teleport in, and starts worrying about his furniture.

After some period of time - almost certainly only minutes, if that -
Morrolan arrives on the scene.  This is going on the deduction that they
can't have been fighting for that long, as there is still intact
furniture at the end of it. <g>

Morrolan steps into the fight - Vlad says he "...had broken up the
fight, much to Aliera's disgust..." - which to me suggests something
other than a full on attack.

This is now pure guesswork, but what I envisage happening is that StY
objects to Morrolan's intervention and attacks him.  He defends himself,
causing Pathfinder to reveal itself.  Perhaps the shock of this sudden
revealing makes StY lose concentration, maybe not.

Either way, Aliera, annoyed that Morrolan is spoiling her fun, hits StY
in the head with the flat of her blade, knocking her into
semi-consciousness.  I'm assuming it was Aliera who delivered the blow,
but it could have been Morrolan.  This seems to me the only way StY
would have ended up the way she did, as I can hardly imagine either A or
M stopping to pick up some other handy blunt instrument.

StY's lack of success despite possession of Pathfinder could be
explained by shock at the blade's revealing or by Aliera and Morrolan
simply being better than her.  More interestingly, it could be that
Pathfinder wanted to come to Aliera, and did something of its own accord
to arrange things that way.  Maybe?

Do you think it would be shameful for StY to have been defeated in such
a way as to leave her alive, and not even particularly harmed?  I kind
of imagine that for a warrior in the Dragaeran culture, that might be
rather embarassing, but I could be wrong.