Dragaera

Geography

Tue Mar 23 13:14:03 PST 2004

--- Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Sean Whalen wrote:

> >    For whatever reason, most people in Dragaera
> don't seem to have ever
> > gone to or be at all familiar with any other
> places on their planet.
> > They've never traveled to the East or been beyond
> it, never crossed the
> > sea, have no idea what other continents there are.
>
> Do we know this?  Page 22 of _Phoenix_ is the only
> evidence I'm aware of.

   Yes, this is what I'm mainly thinking of.  Also,
the Empire never has expanded to any land besides the
surrounding countries.  If they knew of other
continents and could get there they'd have plenty of
room for new expansion.  Since they don't have flying
ships (even though it seems like they should) and
teleportation requires seeing the place or getting the
impression from someone who has it seems travel to new
and far off places is difficult.

> There is mention of a Maelstrom which ships can't
> pass - perhaps that's
> the Greater Sea, abutted by the Grey Rocks and
> Spindrift Lands.

   I don't know.  Wouldn't the flowing water enter the
chaos and never come out?

> Do we in fact know of anyone who has taken a chaos
> bath besides Aliera?
> (Kieron?  Sethra or Grita, genetics be damned?  I
> don't recall purple
> stones in the latter two's presence.  Well, Iceflame
> is blue...)

   Kiera stole one from Aliera.

> I could also imagine that the purple
> stones are brought from
> some other land by means of trade.

   The Great Sea may be far away, but who would the
Dragaeans trade with?