Dragaera

Off Subject: Heavy Metal

Thu Apr 1 09:41:52 PST 2004

> So is anyone here familiar with Opeth?  They're supposed to be like Floyd
> in some respects. The NYTimes gave them a couple of rave reviews recently,
> but I don't really listen to much death metal.

Ah.  Now you have touched on my favorite topic.  In direct response to your question, I have several of Opeth's discs (Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Still Life).  While they have a very interesting mix of styles, I can only listen to them for an hour or less at a time.  I've seen them live and have never seen a less energetic band on stage.  There is no denying their raw talent and song-writing ability, but move something other than your fingers on stage!

Anyway, if you like, we can take this discussion off-list, but if there are fans of the "mainstream" metal bands here like Metallica and Megadeth (even Tool - one of my personal favorites), there is a whole world out there that you owe it to yourself to experience.

Dream Theater, Symphony X, After Forever, Lacuna Coil, Threshold, Iced Earth, Evergrey, Adagio, Tristania, Stratovarius, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Zero Hour, Vanden Plas, Sirenia, Nightwish, Epica, Nevermore...... and these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I believe that metal acquired a horrible name and reputation during the 80's with bands such as Poison, Motley Crue, Cinderella, and the like.  While that type of music has its place, it is by no means representative of the sound or the demeanor of the metal bands that exist now.  The members of these bands receive classical music training (eg, three of the members of Dream Theater went to Berklee; a fourth went to Julliard [at 9 years old]), compose epic orchestral pieces, write thoughtful, poetic, meaningful lyrics, and in general treat their art as just that.

If anyone wants more information or some suggestions of things to check out, email me in private.  There is nothing I am more passionate about than music.  (It brought me out of lurkdom, after all...)

Mike