Dragaera

Poker

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Apr 2 15:21:24 PST 2004

skzb <skzb at dreamcafe.com> writes on 2 April 2004 at 15:04:02 -0800

 >  > And there's a prime example.  If you're actually holding the *best
 > > possible* hand -- that is, you know the odds of any other player
 > > having a better hand are *zero* -- then knowing the odds certainly
 > > will influence how you play your hand!
 > >
 > > I guess I can believe that people *have* been bluffed or bullied while
 > > holding the best possible hand -- but I have a hard time believing in
 > > such stupidity.
 >
 > It's actually more often the other way around: trying to represent that you
 > have the best possible hand (technically called "the nuts") by betting
 > strongly into the guy who actually has it.  I have learned that, in the
 > long-run, this is not a money-making venture.

And I can believe that a lot better!

Of course, proper tactics when holding the real actual best possible
hand aren't very important, given how often you'll face that
situation.

 > In actual practice, if you are playing limit poker (the amount you can bet
 > at any one time being limited by rule) and it is a low limit, then if you
 > have the patience to wait for a good hand before putting your money in, and
 > then bet strongly, you can beat the game.  Astonishingly few people have the
 > patience and discipline to wait for a good hand.  "I didn't come here to
 > fold," being the battlecry.

I've heard from several different ex-Marines that staying sober is
sufficient to beat even some fairly high-stakes games.

 > When you get into higher limits where the good players live, or no-limit
 > poker, or tournament poker, then you need additional skills.

Places *I* sure won't be found.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>