Dragaera

Poker

Sun Apr 4 21:01:32 PDT 2004

> Jeff Gibbons wrote:
> > [Someone said:]
> > > I've never really been drunk, either.

> > I have. My first year I lived in Europe is kinda hazy, as was the last 3
> > months. I still miss the tasty beer they have in Pilzin and Praha.
>
> Belgium.  One of these years I want to make a walking, or rather
staggering,
> tour of the place, from brewery to brewery.
>
> A number of years ago I saw an article that claimed that in WWI, the
German
> army conquered Belgium particularly slowly.  One brewery at a time. :-)
There
> was an accompanying picture if a line of grinning German soldiers all
holding
> bottles and standing before one of those breweries.
>
> (Recently discovered Grottenbier [or a spelling close to that], which
makes
> the wonderful Chimay truly pale in comparison.)
> --
> Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com http://www.exit.com/
>                                 http://www.exit.com/blog/frank/

Yeah, don't miss Grimbergen Dubbel, it's an outstanding Belgium dark beer.
Palm is good, you can find it anywhere, but there Winter Special Edition
they have every year is great. The real Heineken from Holland is much better
than what they import to the states, and the brewery is in Amsterdam. But
the beers from Poland and the Czech Republic remain my favorites, light but
full of flavor. Plus, at the equivalent of $.50 for a half liter. . . . .

Jeff