Dragaera

Paarfi's account vs... (Spoiler for Sethra Lavode)

charles_sumner at harvard.edu charles_sumner at harvard.edu
Tue May 4 07:40:34 PDT 2004

At 11:23 AM 4/12/2004 -0400, Alexx wrote:
>spoilers ho:

>Re: the difference between Paarfi's and Paresh's version of a certain
>encounter:
>
> > Actually, what amazes me is that Paarfi knows about the event
> > sufficiently to actually recount it at all!  Who would have told
> > him THAT version?  Aerich?  Dead.  Khaavren?  Never had time to
> > hear it.  Paresh?  Possibly, but if so, Paarfi clearly didn't
> > believe him.
>
>I would presume that Aerich wrote at least one letter between leaving
>Tazendra's castle and his death.  After all, he's always portrayed as
>being meticulous about having his affairs in order, and he *knew* that
>he was walking into a trap.

Possible, although there's also the unpleasant possibility that the only
account Paarfi had was that of Paresh, which Paarfi modified to fit the
character he had developed in his book.  What really bugged me about that
sequence was that it raised the specter that Aerich, as he appeared in the
Paarfiad, may not have been quite so noble in reality but was written as
such so that Paarfi could use him to make comments on society of the time.

Charley

"We now agree there's no such thing as a safe glass freeze pop."
                         http://www.shardsoglass.com/