Dragaera

Witchcraft [SL spoilers]

charles_sumner at harvard.edu charles_sumner at harvard.edu
Wed May 5 07:48:38 PDT 2004

At 05:10 PM 5/4/2004 -0700, Philip Hart wrote:

> > 1) Kana may have made a pact with Trini specifically to counter Brimford,
> > not all witchcraft.  In fact, other than Brimford, there weren't any
> > instances shown of witchcraft not working.  Blocking Arra's seeings may
> > have simply been a side effect of a Tri'ni's presence more than something
> > specific on his part.  Kana may not have even known that Arra had "sight"
>
>I believe what (slim) evidence there is supports my view - Sethra says
>(pg 139) Arra says she is being "prevented" from Seeing, and notes,
>"Skills that are inherent in a person are very difficult to interfere with."
>
>This is an important plot point in that Sethra learns of Kana's advance as
>a consequence.

True, and you're right that that supports your theory.  However, it still
doesn't imply that Trini was blocking _all_ witchcraft.  He may have just
been blocking Brimford and Arra.

Sethra did find out about Arra's lack of visions, which was a clue to
Kana's plans, but it was a small clue.  Arra doesn't control her Seeing, so
the lack of visions may or may not have represented something.  Sethra, of
course, managed to put that small clue together with a bunch of other and
only then was she able to figure out parts of Kana's plan.

If Trini had been blocking all witchcraft (thereby causing Castle Black to
fall), that would have been a much more widespread phenomena, and probably
would have sparked a much faster and stronger investigation that might have
brought Kana's plans to light much faster.

Charley

"We now agree there's no such thing as a safe glass freeze pop."
                         http://www.shardsoglass.com/