Dragaera

basic question about sorcery and the caste system

Wed May 19 18:04:34 PDT 2004

A recent discussion about Paresh's account in _Teckla_ makes me wonder:

What keeps a Teckla sorcerer from changing his appearance to that of a
noble house?  I assume this would be against the law, of course, and
there might be social mechanisms to overcome - secret handshakes, subtle
clues, checks against birth records.  But note that the Musketeers managed
ok in _TPG_ working under assumed names.  I should think (based on direct
evidence anyway) that Paresh could professionally pretend to be a Chreotha
without great difficulty.