Dragaera

Monty Haul Syndrome?

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jun 3 16:29:35 PDT 2004

Scott Schultz wrote:

> In a way, I understand why this happened. The idea of a story about
> Vlad's return to Adrilankha is an interesting one. He left a lot of
> loose ends there, not the least being Cawti. What's Cawti done with
> his "business" in the intervening years? How will Kragar and his
> associates react? How will the Jhereg react? How will Vlad feel about
> his place in Dragaeran society? What will he do when he discovers he
> has a son and that none of his friends informed him?

Now he can return.   But it is not clear that his new GW has to be any more
effective at plot resolution than Spellbreaker was.   Certainly it won't
help him make friends with Cawti's friends.   Other people with GW's have
interesting stories happening to them.

And he will be subject to more manipulation.

> The thing is, how do you write a story like that when logically he
> should be dead within a few days of returning? The only way is to
> make him untouchable, or mostly untouchable.

Just gives people an excuse to let him be.

> The question you're left with is whether doing so means that you've
> upped the ante as far as dramatic conflict for any future stories.
> There isn't much other than a god that should give Vlad trouble at
> this point and, given what Godslayer was designed for and what we saw
> it do to the Jenoine, even a god might not be that much of a
> challenge.

Sure there is.   Mario could give him trouble.   His GW isn't THAT much
better than the others.