Dragaera

If I were the Demon...

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Jun 4 11:25:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:00:38 -0400, Ken Koester
<kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov> wrote:

>   Look at it a third way:  if Vlad escapes, isn't that a commentary on
> the fitness of those at the top to continue to rule the Organization?
> Aren't some of the 2nd tier Demons-in-waiting going to sense a little
> weakness in their immediate bosses?  If you are a Demon, aren't you
> going to worry a little more about someone greeting you with a knife
> between the shoulders?  If I were on the Council, I'd see Vlad's
> continued liberty a threat to me personally, one way or the other.

These guys are politicians.   Success or failure is whatever they can
persuade others it is.   And there are seconds in waiting in all
politics.   The Khrushchevs of the world do what the Stalins say and bide
their time.   Second in command usually like the system.   Sure they
revolt as well, but Dragaerans are if nothing else, patient.   (Think of
how many frustrated princes we had who wanted to rule but were already
getting old!)

Stalin was a good politician even if he didn't make stump speeches to the
masses.   He told people that his plans were successes and they didn't
argue.

Unless Vlad hit a personal blind spot (which the powerful tend to have in
large sizes), the Demon will be smart enough to figure out how to turn him
into his advantage, or minimally move the blame elsewhere.