Dragaera

If I were the Demon...

Fri Jun 4 12:03:16 PDT 2004

Howard Brazee wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:00:38 -0400, Ken Koester
> <kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov> wrote:
>
>>   Look at it a third way:  if Vlad escapes, isn't that a commentary
>> on  the fitness of those at the top to continue to rule the
>> Organization?   Aren't some of the 2nd tier Demons-in-waiting going
>> to sense a little  weakness in their immediate bosses?  If you are a
>> Demon, aren't you  going to worry a little more about someone
>> greeting you with a knife  between the shoulders?  If I were on the
>> Council, I'd see Vlad's  continued liberty a threat to me personally,
>> one way or the other.
>

> These guys are politicians.   Success or failure is whatever they can
> persuade others it is.   And there are seconds in waiting in all
> politics.   The Khrushchevs of the world do what the Stalins say and
> bide  their time.   Second in command usually like the system.   Sure
> they  revolt as well, but Dragaerans are if nothing else, patient.
> (Think of  how many frustrated princes we had who wanted to rule but
> were already  getting old!)

They bide their time until they think they can strike & get away with
it.  "Success" in politics of this sort has little to do with the
persuasiveness of words & everything to do with the persuasiveness of
force.  When Khrushchev looked weak, Breshnev & Kosygin struck.  Stalin
spent quite a few years removing potential competitors & demonstrating
to others that he couldn't be beaten.  When it looked like he could be,
he had his potential successor assassinated in 1934, and started the
Great Purges.  The one rival who escaped him he eventually had killed in
Mexico in 1940--showing that no one could get away.   However patient
Dragaerans may be in general, House Jhereg seems to be no stranger to
intra-House warfare.

Ah well, I'm off to sailboat racing for a week, won't be able to follow
up any further.

Snarkhunter